Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lucky #13?

Although many people see #13 as the most unlucky number, I have always included it in my list of favorite numbers (yes I have more than one favorite/lucky number...) Though I have always considered 13 to be a favorite number of mine, I am beginning to sway to the popular thinking that it's quite unlucky! Ironman #13 was a tough one to get through...first IM Louisville: Fall down steps a week and a half before the race, injure ribs badly, attempt to race (bad idea), DNF. Next is IM Cozumel and here is my story...


First let me say that the island of Cozumel; is one of the most beautiful spots that I have ever been to. The water is incredible, the people are laid back and kind and the air is warm and humid, just as I like it (or so I thought!)...

George and I arrived Wednesday and let me say that the journey was a long one! Drive to JFK, fly to Cancun, drag bags and bike to bus shuttle, take bus ride for 60 min to Playa de Carmen, drag bike and bags through streets to ferry, wait 90 min for ferry, take 45 min ferry ride (beautiful), arrive in San Miguel Cozumel, drag bike and bags through streets to car Rental (Volkswagen Bug Convertible Circa 1970's...very cool), drive in the dark to find condo (at this point our patience are a bit short...especially as we navigate through the dark to find our secluded home), drag bike and bags up stairs, drive into town for yummy tacos, and off to bed...

...wake up to the most beautiful scene! It was worth the travel!!


So, I may have enjoyed the island a little more than I should have? ...but it was so hard not to! I did try and keep the physical stuff to a minimum though. We did some exploring in the VW (found a great little bar/restaurant on the beach where I had killer fish tacos), did some swimming with the fishies, and drove the IM loop, but I did stay on the boat and in the shade when George went Scuba Diving, and no that isnt my Dos Equis on the table there, though it was tempting!

Saturday came quickly and it was time for me to do one last little bike workout and drop off the Orbea for Sunday . My legs felt AWESOME! I was SO ready for this race! Sunday morning seemed warm and calm! Yippie! We got to the race site early and met up with Bill and Nancy (both racing see picture below) and their family (spectating). Off to the water and before I knew it, the Pros were getting ready to go! The gun went off (actually, I dont remember if it was actually a gun, but we started the race either way). I felt strong and the very first thing I said to myself is, "Im going to have a great day". Hmmm...what happened to the power of the mind?!

I exited the swim in :56 min with one other girl who stayed on my feet for the whole swim. WooHoo! My fastest swim ever! I did not know, however, that the lead girls swam :46-:51! Wow... Sadly, I let my swim companion exit the changing tent before me and she was on her bike quicker than I was, which is not necessarily surprising given the fact that I never practice my transitions (Note to self: Goal#1 for 2010...practice transitions!)

I felt strong on the bike and the watts were as they should be. I was doing a solo time trial in no-mans-land, but hey...Ive done plenty of solo long rides, so Im mentally prepared for this!

Then came the wind...the other side of the island was much windier than I had expected and I found myself going 16 mph and dreading the two loops ahead of me that would bring me to this windy section! Oh, and there goes the nice little bar/restaurant on the beach that George and I had enjoyed just a few days before...wasnt that nice?! OK, back to the race...

I was SO excited to get to town on the first loop...I got to see George and he told me that a girl was just up ahead...yippie! I soon passed her and was back to no-mans-land... Then the bottom fell out from under me. I had a major meltdown about half way into loop two and started to get worried. I looked down and saw that my shorts were COVERED in salt! What?! This never happens to me! I got through the second loop and almost stopped in town when I saw George again...I think I told him that it was very windy out there...he just encouraged me to keep going. I did and I can say that the last lap was absolute torture! For those of you who know watts, I averaged around 120 for the entire loop! I stopped a few times just to rest my head on my handlebars, I contemplating stopping at one of the parked ambulances on the course, but decided to do the best I could to get back to town and finish the race...

When I finally got to T2 (the bike course was 114 miles, by the way and that last 2 miles nearly killed me!) I was delirious. I knew I was delirious, but there was nothing I could do about it. I was stumbling around and while George was talking to me, I couldnt quite focus on what it was that he was saying. I entered the changing tent and the Dr. approached me. She asked if I was OK...I told her yes. I figured that if I knew that I was delirious, I could still forge ahead! When I exited the tent I grabbed a coke and drank it down, I also had a banana and a few bites of a Powerbar... I started to feel a bit better, but not good enough to jog.
As Im realizing that this blog is getting to be WAY too long, I am going to sum up... My saviors out on the run helped me finish the race:

Savior #1, though he will argue this, is George. He met up with me out on the run course and I saw him every loop. He walked with me and joked with me, then told me in a joking manner to "run the last loop...Im tired of walking, my feet hurt. I'll give you and hour and meet you at the finish line!" He was there at the finish line, even though it took me longer than an hour to get there! He was screaming for me, apparently...I was in a bit of a fog to notice at that point, but he was there at the end and I am so grateful to him for being there for me.

My savior #2...Bree Wee. What a fantastic person Bree is! I can see why there are so many Bree fans out there and now I am one too! Not only did Bree scream for me every time she saw me and encouraged me to hang in there, but she came up to me on lap 2 of the run (she was on lap 3) and said, "Come on Danielle, run with me... we are going to play a game...its called How Slow Can We run?" We ran together for a while...I felt so much better...Then, as we parted, she told me to make sure I kept running...that now matter how slow I ran, it would be MUCH quicker than walking...she was right and I tried to keep the walking to a minimum... Oh, and not only did Bree encourage me, but I think she encouraged EVERYONE out on the course!

Savior #3...Nancy Cattabiani. I wanted to finish for Nancy... I know how tough Nancy is and I didnt want to let her down. I thought of her out on that course every step of the way and I am so impressed with her for so many reasons... Not only did she ace the swim, but she got through a horrendous (and long) bike. Unfortunately, as Ironman can be an "unknown", Nancy had back issues that could have become very serious, so she did the smart thing and pulled out before doing serious damage... I am so proud of her though...

One last thing: CONGRATS to Lorraine Huether on her first IM finish (a fantastic 5th place in her age group, I believe), Bill Romas on a great finish, and Christine Kenney who ROCKED her first IM with a 10:25 and a slot to Kona...unbelievable!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have never been more proud of you as we are now...Can't wait until your next race. Mom

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

Great report, Danielle. That sounded ridiculously tough and I am SO impressed you were able to pull through and finish. You're one tough chica!