Sunday, October 18, 2009

True Inspiration...

As many of you already know, Ironman Hawaii was last weekend. I've had the good fortune to race kona 5 times and every single race contains memories, both good and bad, that I will never forget. Picture: YOUNG Dee in Kona 2005.

My first Hawaii, in 2002, was TERRIFYING, "Will I finish? Will I be crawling to the finish line like Julie Moss?". There were 11 of us from long Island doing the race that year and it was a BLAST!

My last race in Kona was actually my first year racing as a Pro. I felt like it was my first time there all over again! While I wasn't nervous about my ability to finish, I was unsure of myself and insecure racing in my new category.

My 3rd time there was by far my best finish. Second place in my age-group (behind phenom Tyler Stewart), 4th amateur overall. It was after this finish that the idea of racing Pro seemed somewhat in my realm of possibility.

My 4th Ironman Hawaii was memorable because I was VERY lucky to spend 5 weeks in Kona training! The time I spent in Kona that year was especially memorable due to my roommate, training partner and friend, Simon Butterworth. It was that trip that made my friendship with Simon such a close one. Funny...I recall that I turned 30 that November after the race, and Simon turned 60 a week earlier! Of my 5 Kona finishes, that one was the toughest. I had problems handling my nutrition on the bike and cramps that made me walk on the run. At one point I thought I was finished, but I rallied and got through it holding onto 5th place in my age-group. Running down Alli Drive that day was my most emotional finish as I had overcome many obstacles that year as well as in that race...funny how the toughest finishes can be the most memorable!

Speaking of the toughest races being the most memorable...

When you get a chance, read Simon's latest blog (http://sbrhigh.blogspot.com/) entitled, "My Lucky Day-Angels in Kona". While it's a long post (that's Simon for you!) it is a FANTASTIC READ and a GREAT source of inspiration to me. I think it will inspire anyone who reads it.

No comments: